Homemade pasta from scratch, it’s not about cooking pasta but about how you can make your own pasta
How to make pasta and Spaghetti using mealie meal (maize meal, corn meal)
Corn meal, maize meal 2 cups (You need more meal for rolling the pasta.
3 Eggs (eggs at room temperature)
Oil (vegetable oil, olive oil) (optional)
A bit Salt to taste
Try different flour, or mix starch…you can use…
All purpose flour sifted
Cassava powder (cassava starch)
Corn starch or corn that’s fine
Sifted Corn meal (medium or coarse)
To add flavor try….
Powdered garlic (optional)
To add color you can puree vegetables and add to the flour
Carrots (Orange color)
Spinach (green color)
Mixing bowl, fork or dough whisk
Knife to cut dough in stripes, you can make other shapes using your hands
Plastic to cover the dough
You can roll pasta by hand or use a pasta machine
A blender can be used to puree the vegetables or mix ingredients
1. Whisk flour and salt in a mixing bowl
2. Create space in the middle of the flour or dry ingredients. Crack the eggs into the empty space in the middle and then combine the eggs by whisking them using a fork. Mix all ingredients, continue mixing well into a dough. You can also do this on the kitchen counter
3. Knead the dough. The dough must not stick to you or the kitchen counter, add more meal or flour if it is sticky. Keep kneading if you see more air bubbles.
4. Rest the pasta dough for 30 minuets. Cover with a plastic wrap. If you decide to refrigerate the dough, take note that it should be at room temperature before you roll it.
5. Divide the dough in 2 or 4 parts. Roll one part at a time. Wrap the dough parts you are not rolling in plastic to prevent them from drying.
6. Cut the pasta. You can make creative shapes with your hands.
You can cook fresh pasta, refrigerate it or air dry it for future use.